Sunday, March 26, 2017

In Praise of Pomegranate Molasses

Today I want to take a moment to highlight one my favorite new--or at least new to me--ingredients: pomegranate molasses.



I'd seen it in Middle Eastern bodegas throughout my neighborhood for some time, but I got newly intrigued when a friend from work said she was buying a bottle to make an Israeli couscous dish. Then someone at a shabbat dinner told me she likes to drizzle some in her orange juice or use it as a dipping sauce for grape leaves.  and I started salivating.

So I picked up a bottle for $2.99 and found it reminded me a lot of a balsamic vinegar glaze--slightly thick and tangy.  The orange juice mix was a bit of a bust for me, but the pomegranate molasses turned out to be a great addition to hummus.  Later in the week I made a batch of stuffed grape leaves, and the woman at shabbat was right: that was the magic combination.  The slight tartness and sweetness of the pomegranate really complemented the spices in the grape leaves.  I also started to take a little bit to work in a pill bottle and poured some over various salads.



It's a bit messy to store and keep, as it drips everywhere and leaves a ring on my counter top--but it's a yummy ring!  Definitely a win!

No comments:

Post a Comment